Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a document issued to U.S. citizens that are born outside of the U.S.If a child is born abroad to U.S. citizens, either in another country or on a U.S. military base, their parents’ must register the child’s birth with the local consulate or embassy, using CRBA Form DS-2029. This will ensure that they are on record as U.S. citizens. Parents can actually apply for the child’s Social Security number and U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the CRBA. When this form has been processed, the child will be issued a Form FS-240 or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which can be used as a birth certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for things like a driver’s license or registering for school.

Do I Have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a U.S. Birth Certificate?

If you were born on U.S. soil, then you have a U.S. Birth Certificate. If you were born abroad to American citizens, then you likely have a CRBA. However, there are some exceptions.

Those born in certain current or former U.S. territories during specific time periods may have a birth certificate, rather than a CRBA. This includes those born in:

  • Puerto Rico after April 10, 1899
  • U.S. Virgin Islands after January 16, 1917
  • American Samoa after February 15, 1900
  • Guam after December 23, 1952
  • Swains Island after March 3, 1925
  • The Panama Canal Zone before October 1, 1979
  • The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands after January 8, 1978 (8 PM EST)
  • The Philippines before July 4, 1946

If you were born in one of these locations during the relevant time period, you can order a birth certificate, rather than a CRBA.

How to replace a CRBA

If your CRBA was lost, damaged, or stolen you should submit a notarized request for a replacement. Your request should include the following details:

  • Your full name at birth (and adoptive names, if applicable)
  • Your place and date of birth
  • Passport information, if available (date of issuance, expiration date, passport number)
  • Full names of your parents or legal guardians
  • CRBA serial number, if known
  • Your signature
  • Your mailing address
  • Your contact information

You will also need to include a copy of your valid photo ID and payment for the processing fees. If you are a legal guardian requesting a copy for a child, you’ll need a certified copy of the court order granting guardianship.

Previous Term   Next Term

Related Terms

Man asking the meaning of CRBA

Get Your Birth Certificate Now!

You can order your birth certificate using our secure online service and completing our simple application process in just 5 minutes. We will save you time and hassle and thanks to our expert assistance you know you’ll get exactly what you want.

error: content reserved